Purchasing a storage container can provide tons (no pun intended) of benefits. However, actually acquiring them can prove to be quite the task for a number of different reasons. Hopefully this guide will make for a smooth acquisition and help with your project and also answer some questions as to why buying storage containers has become so popular.
Types of Portable Shipping Containers for Sale
First of all, not all storage containers are created equal. There are several sizes, types, and conditions that they come in. Within these size ranges, there are options such as:
- Refrigerated containers
- Insulated containers
- Open top containers
- Dry freight containers
Common Grades of Shipping Containers
Instant Storage carries models of portable storage containers ranging from 10 feet to 53 feet. The most popular sizes by far are the 20 foot and 40 foot shipping containers. These containers will usually be available for purchase in a variety of different conditions. The common jargon you will hear and see for the industry are:
- IICL – Institute of International Container Lessors is the most strict grading criterion in the industry.
- New – These units will typically have been on one trip and in tip top, like new shape. They may sometimes come with a warranty and should not have to be inspected to transport cargo for 5 years
- CW – Cargo Worthy means the container meets the standards in its initial specifications required to transport cargo.
- WWT – Wind and water tight is a pretty self explanatory condition. A storage container in this condition should not have any holes in it however, that does not apply to the understructure of the unit.
- Damaged – Damaged shipping containers for sale will come on an “as is” basis and will typically show signs of wear and tear. Dents, rust, missing parts, and doors not fully closing are some typical signs of a “damaged” container. The price of shipping containers will depend on the condition and your negotiating skills.
Shipping Container Delivery
Once you’ve gone through the process of buying a portable shipping container, your journey isn’t quite done. In fact, one of the most difficult parts of buying a storage container can be working out the logistics of delivery. Some companies may include the delivery of the container in the price but others may require you figure out transportation yourself. Instant Storage is one of the companies that will deliver your shipping container for you within the areas they serve.
Hopefully this guide on how to buy shipping containers has been helpful. Instant Storage seeks to provide a high level of customer service whether you need to buy or rent a storage container. Please contact Instant Storage today for any inquiries you may have.